Today on our JAMB UTME Free Tutorial, will treat mathematics and our topic is Geometric Progression (G.P). We will give examples and exercises.
In our previous post on our JAMB FREE TUTORIAL, we taught Arithmetic Progress (AP). We started by explaining the series and sequence. If you missed the post, please check it out by CLICKING HERE.
Today, we will teach you everything you need to know about Geometric Progression. Please note that if you have any questions/problems, the Mathematics tutor Oguguo J.C, will be very pleased to attend to them, just use the comment box below and the question will be solved.
DON'T MISS OUT: Stay Updated with Schools' Latest Updates on WhatsApp. Click Here and Follow our WhatsApp Channel now!
Before we proceed, please TAKE NOTE of the following:
- We strongly recommend you take your time and read this topic. You can read it again and again.
- Make sure you attempt all the exercises on this page. Use the comment box to tell us the answers.
- This page is also suitable for candidates writing other exams like WAEC/NECO/NABTEB etc.
- Please SHARE THIS PAGE WITH YOUR FRIENDS. We shared this for free because we love you and want you to score very high, WHY NOT SHARE THE LOVE?? Please SHARE THIS PAGE, please!
- If after reading this tutorial YOU HAVE ANY questions on this topic, please feel free to ask us using the comment box below.
- Have you heard of Allschool VIP JAMB Online Lesson? The Lesson is strictly based on JAMB Syllabus, which means our teachers focus on the exact things that will most likely come out in JAMB. Joining the Lesson is one of the surest ways to score high in JAMB. Click here to see how to join and other details.
Now let’s continue with the tutorial. Please don’t forget to share this page with friends.
GEOMETRIC PROGRESSION (G.P)
A geometric progression or exponential sequence is a form of sequence that has a common ratio between any of the terms and its preceding one
- 2, 4,8,…
We observe that the common ratio here is 4/2 = 8/4 given rise to the common ratio (r) = 2
In summary, the general term of a GP is in the form of a, ar2, ar3, …, arn thereby given rise the general term of a GP to be Tn = arn-1
- Determine the third term of a geometric progression whose first and fourth term are 4 and 108 respectively
To determine the 3rd term, we need to know the r apart from the given “a” first term
T4 → 108 =4r4-1
108 = 4r3
108/4 = r3
Raise both sides to the same power
33 = r3
3 = r
Thus, T3 = 4(3)3-1
SUM OF A GP TO INFINITY (S∞ )
A GP whose common ratio is between -1 and +1 say -1/2, 1/2, -1/4, ¼ etc has sum which approaches a finite value as n approaches infinity. It is given as
S∞ = a/1 – r
The first and sixth term of a GP are 8 and ¼ respectively. What is its sum to infinity?
S∞ = a/1 – r
r can be gotten from T6 → ¼ = 8(r)5
multiply through by 1/8
1/32 = r5
Raise both sides to the same powers
½ = r
S∞ = 8/1-0.5
= 8/ 0.5
EXERCISES ON GP
The exercises are:
- Evaluate ( 1/2, -1/4 + 1/8 – 1/16 + …) – 1
a) 2/3 b) 0 c) -2/3 d) -1
- The first term of a GP is 350. If the sum to infinity is 250, find the common ratio
a) -5/7 c) -2/5 c) 2/5 d) 5/7
- The first term of a GP is twice its common ratio. Find the sum of the first two terms of the progression. If its sum to infinity is 8
a) 8/5 b) 8/3 c) 72/25 d) 46/9
NOTE: If YOU HAVE ANY QUESTION on this topic, please feel free to ask us using the comment box below. If this page was also helpful, please let us know using the comment box below.
In Allschool VIP JAMB Online Lesson, our teachers focus on the exact things that will most likely come out in JAMB. Joining the Lesson is one of the surest ways to score high in JAMB. Click here to see how to join and other details.
- Join Allschool JAMB Lesson and Score Very High in JAMB [Tested & Trusted]
- Practice Real JAMB Past Questions with ALLSCHOOL JAMB CBT App
- How to Score Extremely High In JAMB [7 Tips]
- How Much Is JAMB Form 2024
- Is JAMB Form 2024 Out?? [The Truth]
- When is JAMB Exam Starting? [No Lies Here]
- JAMB Brochure: JAMB Subject Combination for all Courses
- JAMB Syllabus for All Subjects
- JAMB Free Tutorials
- Updated Accredited JAMB CBT Centers in Nigeria.
- All JAMB News
Thank you so much for reading. We will appreciate it if you share this with your loved ones.